The Arts & Cultural Alliance of Newport County Increases its Artist Award Recipients in Response to Pandemic
The Arts & Cultural Alliance of Newport County (ACA) is excited to announce the recipients of the 2020 Artist Awards. In response to the heightened needs of artists because of the coronavirus crisis, the ACA is doubling the number of artist projects it will support in this grant cycle.
The Artist Awards will support these exciting projects in Newport County:
- Taleen Batalian’s Waves and Shadows, a multi-discipline collaborative performance installation featuring Batalian’s sculptural garments, at Jamestown Arts Center.
- Scandalous Conduct 1919/1920 by Jason Tranchida and Matthew Lawrence, an art installation and public program sharing the story of the Newport Naval sex scandal of 1919–1920, at locations around Newport.
- Newport Public Art will create two murals in Newport painted by local artists.
- ali kenner brodsky & co.’s MoMents of Nice, a dance performance premiering at the Jamestown Arts Center (a 2019 ACA Artist Award project which was postponed due to the pandemic).“The Board agreed that now is an important time to increase the number of Artist Award gifts, as well as offer continued support to a previously-funded project that was postponed because of the current crisis. With so much uncertainty due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we want to do our part to ensure that the arts will continue to thrive when our community can return to some sense of normalcy.”
— Elizabeth Woodhouse, ACA Board President
The Arts & Cultural Alliance of Newport County’s Artist Awards champion exciting and interesting arts activities and events presented in and for our community. It is the only grant offered specifically for artists of any discipline in the six towns of Newport County. In addition to awards of up to $500, recipients are also promoted in ACA’s Splash e-newsletter and social media channels.
The ACA depends on memberships and donations to fund its activities. To ensure that future Artist Awards can be offered, please consider donating to the Arts & Cultural Alliance of Newport County by visiting www.newportarts.org/about/.
The Arts and Cultural Alliance of Newport County offers Artist Awards (up to $500) to support Newport County art projects that benefit our community.
- Applicants must be a member of ACA.
- Applicants (Artists, Organizations) must reside in Newport County.
- Projects can fall into any artistic genre category: fine arts, visual arts (illustration, graphic design, multimedia), performing arts, the literary arts (creative writing, poetry), music (performance, composing), theatre. Other artistic “sub-genres” may also be considered.
- Project must be available to the public.
- Artist Awards do not fund:
- Bricks and mortar activities and capital improvements, or for the purchase of permanent equipment.
- Eliminating or reducing existing debt, or for contributions to an endowment fund.
- Fundraising efforts, such as social events or benefits.
- Prizes and awards.
- Hospitality expenses, such as food and beverages for openings or receptions. Under no circumstances will the purchase of alcoholic beverages be supported.
- Events or projects completed prior to the date of the award or more than 6 months after the date of the award.
- Activities which are part of a graduate or undergraduate degree program, or for which academic credit is received.
- Applications for projects that proselytize or promote religious activities, or which take place as part of a religious service.
- Performances and exhibitions not available to the general public, or which are inaccessible to people with disabilities.
- Artist Awards do not fund:
Artists of all backgrounds, identities, and artistic means of expression from all Newport County communities (Jamestown, Little Compton, Middletown, Newport, Portsmouth, Tiverton) are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Project must list ACA as a supporter in all promotional materials.
- Funds must be used within a year of the award.
- Application and all support materials are due March 15 or September 15
- Materials should be submitted electronically to email@example.com (subject: ACA Artist Award Application).
- Finalists will be informed via e-mail approximately 4 weeks after the due date.
- For more information e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org (subject: ACA Artist Award)