Dear Applicant for the Tinney Family Arts Scholarship,
The Arts and Cultural Alliance of Newport County is offering the Tinney Family Arts Scholarship of $2,000 in memory of the Tinney Family. Rich with love, talent, and ambition the Tinneys used limited monetary wealth to create beauty for all to enjoy. The family is best known for saving Belcourt Castle from mid-twentieth century wreckers, restoring, and maintaining the building and exhibiting an impressive collection of antiques. The Gold Coronation Coach that was designed by Donald Tinney in 1966 was featured in the historic Bristol, Rhode Island Fourth of July
Parade and the Fall River, Massachusetts Children’s Christmas Parade in 2019. Donald Tinney can best be described as a “Renaissance” man. From the time he was twelve he sang in a boys’ choir, studied music, played the piano and the pipe organ. Before he was twenty he transformed a colonial farm into a stunning estate with beautiful landscaping and stone paths. The Tinneys were accomplished artists and artisans and dedicated to hard work. They bought the oldest stained glass studio in Rhode Island to preserve the art. Creating and restoring windows the family inspired students to learn many skills. They taught “lost arts” such as woodcarving, gold leafing and wrought iron work.
This scholarship is to be awarded to a graduating High School Senior who lives in Newport County and who has demonstrated artistic talent and the ambition to strive for excellence. All areas of the Arts will be considered. It is the desire in giving this scholarship that the Tinney family’s protégé will cherish and perpetuate the Tinney legacy while making the most of his/her own inherent artistic abilities.
The guidelines for the Tinney Family Arts Scholarship are attached. If you have any questions, please send an e-mail to email@example.com with “Tinney Scholarship” in the subject line.
The Tinney Family Arts Scholarship Committee
- Deadline for the application and all support materials is: May 15, 2020
- The $2000.00 Tinney Family Arts Scholarship will be awarded by the Arts & Cultural Alliance of Newport County to a serious Arts student who is a senior in high school (any high school or
“homeschooled”) who lives in Newport County (Jamestown, Newport, Middletown, Portsmouth, Tiverton, Little Compton), RI.
- He/she excels in an area or areas of the Arts including but not limited to: fine arts, visual arts, (illustration, graphic design, multimedia), performing arts, the literary arts (creative writing, poetry), music (performance, composing), theatre. Other “sub-genres” may also be considered.
- The Arts applicant must have been accepted to a post-secondary arts program in one of the Arts areas outlined above.
- Submit a portfolio of your work in any format (electronic, digital or photographic).
- Submit two letters of recommendations from a current teacher, professor, coach, mentor, or director.
- Submit a one page cover letter that describes your “artist’s statement”, vision, involvement in the Arts, future plans, and community outreach. A resume including an academic transcript should be included.
- Other evidence of recognition of your exceptional ability in the Arts should also be attached.
- The recipient of the Tinney Family Arts Scholarship should be prepared to present his/her work at the annual meeting of the Arts & Cultural Alliance of Newport County that will be held in May or June 2020.
- Materials should be submitted electronically when possible to: firstname.lastname@example.org, or mailed to Arts & Cultural Alliance of Newport County, PO Box 4334, Middletown, RI 02842.
- The works will be judged on the quality of work samples, artistic development, personal vision, innovation, originality, versatility, and creative ingenuity.
- The finalist will be informed via e-mail.
- For more information e-mail: email@example.com