CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS FOR THE 2019 TINNEY FAMILY ARTS SCHOLARSHIP WILL BE POSTED IN JANUARY, 2019
January 31, 2018
Dear Applicant for the Tinney Family Arts Scholarship.
The Arts and Cultural Alliance of Newport County is offering the Tinney Family Arts Scholarship of $2,000 in memory of the Tinney Family. The Tinney family is best known for building a Gold Coronation Coach that was designed by Donald Tinney in 1966. He also restored Belcourt Castle in Newport, created and restored stained glass windows, and also inspired students to learn many of the “lost arts”.
Donald Tinney can best be described as a “Renaissance” man. He studied music played the piano, the organ, and sang in a boy’s choir. Through hard work, artistic talent, and dedication he transformed a family historic farm into a stunning estate with beautiful landscaping and stone paths. With members of his family Donald learned woodworking, upholstering, oil painting, refinishing antiques, and other artistic skills. Even though the Tinneys were not born with monetary wealth; they were rich with love, talent, and ambition.
This scholarship is to be awarded to a graduating High School Senior who has demonstrated artistic talent and the ambition to strive for excellence. All areas of the Arts will be accepted and considered. It is the desire in giving this scholarship that the Tinney family’s protégé will cherish and perpetuate the Tinney legacy while making the most of his/her own inherent artistic abilities.
The guidelines for the Tinney Family Arts Scholarhsip are below. If you have any questions, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Tinney Scholarship” in the subject line.
The Tinney Family Arts Scholarship Committee
- Deadline for the application and all support materials is: May 1, 2018
- The $2000.00 Tinney Family Arts Scholarship will be awarded by the Arts & Cultural Alliance of Newport County to a serious Arts student who is a senior in high school (any high school or “homeschooled”) who has been living in Newport County (Jamestown, Newport, Middletown, Portsmouth, Tiverton, Little Compton), RI for the past 3 years.
- He/she excels in an area or areas of the Arts including but not limited to: fine arts, visual arts, (illustration, graphic design, multimedia), performing arts, the literary arts (creative writing, poetry), music (performance, composing), theatre. Other “sub-genres” may also be considered.
- The Arts applicant must have been accepted to a post-secondary arts program in one of the Arts areas outlined above.
- Submit a portfolio of your work in any format (electronic, digital or photographic).
- Submit two letters of recommendations from a current teacher, professor, coach, mentor, or director.
- Submit a one page cover letter that describes your “artist’s statement”, vision, involvement in the Arts, future plans, and community outreach. A resume including an academic transcript should be included.
- Other evidence of recognition of your exceptional ability in the Arts should also be attached.
- The recipient of the Tinney Family Arts Scholarship should be prepared to present his/her work at the annual meeting of the Arts & Cultural Alliance of Newport County that will be held in May or June 2018.
- Materials should be submitted electronically when possible to: email@example.com, or mailed to Arts & Cultural Alliance of Newport County, PO Box 4334, Middletown, RI 02842.
- The works will be judged on the quality of work samples, artistic development, personal vision, innovation, originality, versatility, and creative ingenuity.
- Finalists will be informed via e-mail.
- For more information e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org