National Arts & Humanities Month (NAHM) is a coast-to-coast collective recognition of the importance of culture in America. Since 1985, the month of October has been designated to encourage all Americans to explore new facets of the arts and humanities in their lives, and to begin a lifelong habit of active participation in the arts.
National Arts and Humanities Month’s four primary goals are to:
• create a national, state and local focus on the arts and humanities through the media;
• encourage the active participation of individuals, as well as arts, humanities and other interested organizations nationwide;
• provide an opportunity for federal, state and local business, government and civic leaders to declare their support for the arts and humanities; and
• establish a highly visible vehicle for raising public awareness about the arts and humanities.
The Arts & Cultural Alliance of Newport County will be involved in the following events during the month of October:
• October 7th: Discover Newport’s Marketing Meeting at Newport Vineyards will include pianist Nick SanFilippo in recognition of Arts & Humanities month.
• October 8th: Newport Gallery Night. Explore and experience the art of Newport and buy that special piece for the upcoming holidays TAX FREE! 5:00-8:00pm
• October 16th: Chairman Chu of the National Endowment for the Arts and Senator Reed will celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the NEA at the Newport Art Museum followed by a reception co-sponsored by RISCA and ACA. 2:30pm. Newport Art Museum. 76 Bellevue Ave. Newport. Click here for more details and to register.
• October 17th: The Rhode Island Mini Maker Faire features hands-on making, building & hacking, crafting, garage technology, arts and creativity for sale, and robots! Noon-7pm. Florence Gray Center, 1 York Street, Newport
• October 20th: ACA’s Arts Around the Fire with special guest artist Ryan O’Sullivan. Local musician and entrepreneur, Ryan will speak briefly about his local music and art productions and the programs he runs which use art and music to build kids up and to encourage a drug-free lifestyle. Click here for more details.
• October 24th: “Heifetz on Tour” Concert. Classical music as played by the incredible talents of the Heifetz International Music Institute. This program is an amazing opportunity for the region to experience world-class musicians in a meaningful way and in an intimate setting. Tickets are $30 General Admission and $15 for age 25 and under. Jamestown Arts Center, 7:30pm. Click here for more details and tickets.
• October 29th: ACA’s Arts Behind the Scenes for glassblowing at Thames Glass. Click here for more details.
• October 30th: Economic Impact of the Arts. The ACA joins with Senator Pavia Weed and the Newport County Chamber of Commerce for “A + B = C” (Arts plus Business = Community), a continental breakfast and panel discussion @ Honyman Hall at Trinity Church. 8:00-10:00am. Register here.
Local artists will be performing during the registration and networking at the beginning of the event. The event will begin with breakfast and networking followed by a welcome from RI Senate President Teresa Paiva-Weed. Next, there will be keynote remarks from J.L. “Lynn” Singleton, President, Providence Performing Arts Center speaking on the Economic Impact of Providence Performing Arts Center.
Directly after the keynote speaker there will be a panel discussion moderated by Benedict Leca, Executive director of Redwood Library. The panel discussion will include Brenda Nienhouse, Executive Director of Newport Performance Art Center, Pebbles Wadsworth, Development Co-Chair & Past Board President, Jamestown Arts Center, Jay Sweet, Producer, Newport Festivals Foundation and Andrea van Beuren, Founder & Artistic Director, newportFILM. The panelist discussion will be responding to questions regarding the impact of each organization on the economy and vitality of Newport. Post event, attendees will be invited to tour the Opera House Theater.
Tickets are $10.00 per person for members of the Newport County Chamber of Commerce or the Arts & Cultural Alliance or $15.00 for non-members. Tickets will be sold in advance online at NewportChamber.com. Register here.